Today’s question is:
“This may seem like a stupid question – and quick side note, there’s no such thing as a stupid question. So please never let that fear stop you from asking us anything. – but how do you know the difference between real productivity and busy work?
I noticed a certain amount of admin to do, and it always feels like there’s more I could or should be doing. But not having run a business before, I don’t know how to prioritize. Sometimes I feel really focused and clear, and other times kind of muddled. Is there a way to plan?”
Today’s question is about the difference between productivity and busy work. And it’s caused both of us to think about what busy work means for us, how we get distracted, and what distractions we allow in our days.
We discuss what you can do to be productive and how you know what you should be doing and when.
In this episode:
- Defining busy work and looking at examples. 1:25
- Can learning ever be considered as busy work? 4:15
- What work you want to focus on within your business. 5:35
- Figuring out where to spend your time if you’re newer to running a business. 9:40
- Identifying what work would be most beneficial to prioritize. 14:00
- How to persevere when running into roadblocks. 16:40
- Busy work as an avoidance tactic and what’s at the root of it. 18:45
Click here to download a transcript of this episode.
Where to find Amy:
Where to find Kirsty: