Today’s question is:
Amy and Kirsty,
I wrapped up a project for a client eight weeks ago, and I’m still waiting on the final payment. It was for a relatively large business, so my contact keeps blaming payroll. But every time I chase them up, I get a “Next week, we promise!” response that never comes to fruition.
How can I resolve this situation now? And how can I stop the same thing from happening in future?
Out of Pocket and Pissed Off
This week, we have a question about a client who keeps putting off payment. We talk about how to get payment, what kind of language to use, and Amy shares a story that has Kirsty shaking her head in surprise.
In this episode:
- Some background in collections. 1:30
- Why a big business might delay payment. 3:10
- How to communicate within a larger organization. 4:10
- What to say when asking for money that’s owed to you. 5:45
- The benefit of being direct. 9:05
- Setting yourself up for success from the beginning. 10:10
- A creative way to schedule your final payment. 12:45
- Is not getting paid a common problem? 17:10
- Storytime! Amy’s experience with a rough client. 18:10
Click here to download a transcript of this episode.
Where to find Amy:
Where to find Kirsty: